Thursday, January 20, 2011

In Loving Memory.....

Today would have been my Dad's 94th Birthday.  He has been gone for nine years now, but I love the sweet memories of him. 
Kyle would have turned four the day of Grandpa's funeral.  Through the years we have talked of Grandpa, but I really didn't know his feelings about what he remembers of Grandpa until I found this writing in his school papers last year. 

A Friend you've never truly known

Grandpa, I feel I never got to know you, but somehow I know that I was close to it.  It's like one of those really annoying puzzles.  Where it suddenly all makes sense., but then when you're putting it together, you find you're missing the most important piece of all, and it'll never look like it's supposed to. 
I almost had you figured out, then you left and took the last piece with you.  They say a picture tells a thousand words, but I would've preferred a video. 
It reminds me of one of those corny murder mystery books when the stupid detective is about to put two-and-two together, then swish!  The book is snatched away from you when your mom finds out you haven't done your homework. 
I know it isn't your fault that you had to leave, but you really left me hanging.  Stories, pictures, and memories won't replace you being here, my Grandpa, my would-be friend.
Sometimes it really seems like you're still alive, but then a crushing wave of reality washes away the thought as soon as it comes.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading this, Lori... can't imagine how it made you feel. Very nice!

Jenny said...

Wow! He's really a talented writer and has a special way with words. I love that little essay.

The J's said...

Wow! That is a very cool! Definitely something to keep (a scrapbook page, ya know....) *smile*
Hard to believe it's been 9 years! Kaela was just a baby. My dad died 10 years ago--the same month.

gkey said...

dear Memory moments,

Very good piece of writing! Just thought of your Dad the other day when we came across pix of dressing chickens the summer before he died. His quiet steady ways always impressed me.
My gr'pa is turning 97 this Summer...and I STILL feel like I have never really known him very well.
We have lost several in October: Both my dad and father-in law, gr'ma Ruth, your Dad. Special people all, and they will always be missed.

love,
Every year in the Fall, I remember the 'end of the chapter'
in
NE

The Millers said...

VERY good writing. i could never express myself in writing when i was in school and i could imagine what i wanted it to be like but it never came out on the paper. its a real gift :)

UplayOnline said...

they will always be missed.



สล็อต ออนไลน์ ได้ เงิน จริง
goldenslot